An accredited online diversity masters degree can prepare students for a variety of jobs in an increasingly multicultural world. This degree is not only appropriate for those who already have an online bachelor’s degree in diversity, but also for those who wish to build on skills from other fields. Since diversity specialists are needed in nearly every field, someone with an online master in diversity can work in human relations, education, business, psychology, social work or public policy. Online master degree in diversity graduates interested in further education can pursue an online PhD in diversity or a PhD in a related field such as education or sociology.
What are the admission requirements for an online master’s in Diversity?
For admissions purposes, students who apply to top online masters degree programs in diversity may need to submit the following:
- Application form
- Undergraduate transcripts
- Personal statement or Essay
- Letters of recommendation
These programs generally prefer candidates that have either a bachelors degree in diversity from an accredited school or a bachelors degree in a related field such as:
- Human Relations
- Multicultural Studies
- Gender Studies
What types of online master’s degrees in Diversity can students pursue?
A variety of online masters degrees in diversity are offered by accredited online schools.
And, because diversity is a broad field, in order to become a specialist in a specific field, students often pursue specialties or concentrations.
Popular online areas of focus include:
- Organizational Diversity: Students will study diversity in both a psychological and social context. They will discuss problems of inequality and learn the leadership skills to support and implement inclusion initiatives in businesses, nonprofits and communities.
- Diversity and Equity in Education: Students will study educational diversity issues in both a historical and contemporary context. They will learn teaching methods and debate school policies in regards to race, gender and special needs education.
- Gender Diversity: Diversity masters degree online students will study issues in gender and sexual orientation culture and politics. They will discuss how these issues impact our communities, workplaces and economies.
- Diversity Management: Students will study diversity practices in national and global corporations. They will learn methods for leading a diverse workforce and implementing hiring practices that encourage diversity.
- Human Relations and Inclusion: Online masters degree diversity students will learn how to break down institutionalized discrimination and create an inclusive environment in large organizations. They will receive instruction on conflict resolution techniques for disputes involving race and gender issues.
What can students expect to learn in an online Diversity master’s degree program?In the best online master’s degree programs in diversity, students will receive instruction in conflict resolution, cultural sensitivity and contemporary issues in inequality, learning how best to promote good relations among people with diverse backgrounds.
Top online masters programs in diversity offer students several courses, including:
- Race, Gender and Sexual Orientation This class will discuss race relations, gender and sexual orientation with regards to political, social and historical issues. Online master’s degree diversity students will also discuss how these diversity issues impact our communities and schools.
- Diversity, Leadership and Policy Students will read a variety of perspectives on race, class and gender issues. They will use these readings to inspire deep discussions on the moral and ethical challenges in diversity and leadership.
- Strategic Diversity Management: In this class, students completing online master’s degrees in diversity will learn how to create systems to support diversity in the workplace. Students will learn how to set up a diversity taskforce and measure its outcomes, as well as how to recruit for diversity.
What careers can students pursue after graduating from Diversity masters programs online?
Diversity online masters programs graduates may choose from a variety of different job options.
Some popular career choices for graduates are:
- Human Resources Manager: Human resources mangers coordinate the recruitment and hiring of employees, oversee human resources staff and facilitate communication between management and employees. A human resource manager earns $99,180 per year on average. Job growth is predicted to be 13% over the next eight years, about average for all occupations.
- Policy Analyst: A policy analyst studies problems and issues in society to evaluate related polices at the organizational and governmental levels. They collect information, carry out studies and report their findings. These professionals earn about $99,000 per year. While job growth data for policy analysts is hard to come by, similar jobs in management analysis are expected to grow 22%.
- Affirmative Action Project Manager: These professionals, also known as diversity managers, work for companies and other organizations to ensure that diversity policies and affirmative action requirements are implemented appropriately. Affirmative action project managers earn an average salary of around $80,000 per year. Jobs in this field are predicted to increase 22% by 2020.