Online master’s degrees in computer science certify graduates to enter the computer industry, including specialized areas such as cyber security, programming and networking. Such a degree is versatile enough to allow graduates to find employment in any number of organizations, from software developers to governmental institutions to businesses and medical labs. To enter this advanced field of study, a bachelor’s degree in computer science or an equivalent technical degree is required. Because the job market is highly competitive, completing a master’s degree with a thesis option is strongly advised. Students who want to increase their credentials might also be interested in pursuing an online PhD in computer science.
What are the admission requirements for an online master’s in computer science?
For admissions purposes, students applying to top online masters degree programs in computer science may be required to submit the following:
- Application form
- Undergraduate transcripts
- Personal statement or Essay
- Letters of recommendation
These programs generally prefer candidates that have either a bachelors degree in computer science from an accredited school or a bachelors degree in a related field such as:
- Information Technology
- Software Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
What types of online master’s degrees in computer science can students pursue?
A variety of online masters degrees in computer science are offered by accredited online schools.
And, because computer science is a broad field, in order to become a specialist in a specific field, students often pursue specialties or concentrations.
Popular areas of focus for online degree students include:
- Computer Systems Security: Online masters degree computer science students will gain instruction in how to protect organizations’ digital property from theft. Students gain an advanced understanding of networks and operating systems and are taught how to design, implement and oversee security measures.
- Software Engineering: This concentration prepares students to write software for a wide range of purposes, work in a team environment and manage engineering projects. Courses include software metrics, computer performance evaluation and human computer interaction.
- Computing and Business: This online master in computer science concentration blends a general computer background with the basics of business to prepare graduates to run tech companies. Aside from computer courses, students can expect to learn financial accounting, management principles and marketing.
- Computing for Life Sciences: Students receive specialized instruction to enter the field of health and medical informatics. They learn to become proficient in data mining, bioinformatics, biomedical imaging and other skills that aid the medical industry.
- Artificial Intelligence: Topics in this computer science masters degree online program include machine learning, natural language processing, cognition and probability. Graduates apply their advanced knowledge and skills to fields such as biology, text processing, robotics and human services.
What can students expect to learn in an online computer science master’s degree program?Accredited online master’s degree programs in computer science lay a solid foundation of skills needed to succeed in the world of computers. Graduates of the best online master’s degree computer science programs leave with a strong proficiency in specialized areas such as software engineering, computer architecture and algorithms.
Top online masters programs in computer science offer students a variety of courses, including:
- Image Processing: This online computer science masters degree class exposes students to the fundamentals of image processing and digitization. Emphasis is placed on enhancement, filtering, restoration, image analysis and segmentation.
- Cryptology: Students learn how to encrypt sensitive digital information to protect it from theft. Topics include public key cryptosystems, digital signatures, cryptographic hash functions and Advanced Encryption Standards.
- High-Speed Networking Technologies This online master degree in computer science course covers the need for faster network technologies to accommodate greater usage of video and audio across the Internet. Technologies studied include digital subscriber line (DSL), frame relay, synchronous optical network (SONET), wavelength-division multiplexing and optical networking.
What careers can students pursue after graduating from computer science masters programs online?
Computer science online masters programs graduates can consider a wide spectrum of careers.
Some popular career choices for graduates are:
- Computer Network Architect: These workers design and manage the network used by employees in a company or organization. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, network architects can expect to receive over $75,000 annually. Compared to other professions, job growth for computer network architects is projected to advance faster than normal. In this decade, 65,000 new positions will become available.
- Software Developer: Software developers design computer programs for a variety of applications, from operating systems to navigation to gaming. These professionals can expect to receive $90,000 annually. Currently there are 913,100 available jobs, but over the course of this decade close to 271,000 new ones will be added.
- Computer and Information Research Scientists: Computer scientists conduct research on how to use new and existing technologies in the fields of business, medicine and science. Their annual salary falls just over $100,000. About 28,000 positions are available, but with 19% job growth projected, 5,300 new positions will be added this decade.